Adopting from ARK
Submit an Adoption Application
- The first step in the process is to complete the adoption application. This helps us ensure a good fit between you and the animal you’re interested in. Please be aware that we do verify the information on adoption applications; please provide all information request
Complete a Virtual Home Visit
- Next, we will ask you to complete a virtual home visit via video conference (Zoom or Facetime). Don’t worry, we’re not checking to see whether you did the dishes last night – we are just ensuring that our rescued animals are going into a safe and secure environment. This takes about 15-20 minutes on average.
Schedule a meet-and-greet
- Once your application is approved, we setup a time for you to meet the pet. Our animals are in foster homes all over the Tampa Bay area; so depending on the situation, we may schedule a meet-and-greet at the foster’s home, or at a mutually-convenient park. Due to coronavirus, we are not currently doing in-home meet-and-greets to minimize face-to-face contact and keep everyone safe.
- We want you to take as much time as you need to make the best decision for you and your family. We encourage you to complete a meet-and-greet and then take some time to make your decision.
Finalize the adoption
- If you decide to adopt, we send you an adoption contract for eSignature. You can pay the adoption fee via credit card or Paypal, or via cash/check in person when you pick up your new family member.
- If adopting a dog, please bring collar and leash to the pickup. You may also want to bring some treats.
- If adopting a cat, you must bring a carrier to transport your new family member.
- You will receive copies of any medical records we have for the animal via email, as well as a copy of your adoption contract. You will also receive an email about transferring the microchip information to you; this may take a few days to process.
- We love updates from our adopters! Please feel free to text or email us with photos and updates on how your new pet is doing. You can also post to our Facebook page at facebook.com/arkoftampa.
After the adoption
Please feel free to reach out with any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via phone/text at 813-358-7979. Please note that our rescue line goes to several of our volunteers and board members so may be answered by different people. We ask that you keep phone calls and texts between the hours of 9am and 9pm Eastern.
Our Current Adoptables
Frequently Asked Questions
We are still working to add questions to this section. If you don’t see your question answered here, please feel free to email email@example.com with any questions.
Will the animal I’m adopting be spayed or neutered prior to adoption?
Yes – all of our animals are fixed prior to going home.
Do you provide a microchip?
Yes – all of our animals have a microchip prior to adoption. After you finalize the adoption, you will receive an email with instructions on transferring the microchip to you and updating your information. Please be sure to transfer the microchip registration within 30 days of adoption.
What vaccinations do your animals receive?
All adoptable animals are provided with a rabies vaccination prior to adoption, and you will receive a copy of the rabies certification for use in registering your animal with the county. The only exception to this is puppies/kittens who are too young for a rabies vaccination, in which case your adoption contract will specify that you agree to get the animal the rabies vaccination when they are old enough. In addition, all cats are tested for FIV/FELV, given FVRCP vaccinations, and dewormed. All dogs are tested for heartworms and given DTAPP or similar multi-vaccine.
What are the adoption fees?
Our adoption fees may vary based on the animal; they range from $35 to $125 currently. The listing for each animal will have the specific adoption fee listed.
Can I stop by and meet the pet in person? What is your address?
We are a foster-based rescue only, which means we do not have a physical shelter location. All of our adoptable animals are in foster homes throughout the Tampa Bay area. Once you are approved, we will schedule a time for you to meet the pet, typically either at the foster home or at a park convenient for everyone.
Why do you ask for so much information on the application? Why do you need a copy of my driver’s license in order to adopt?
We take in animals that may have come from cruelty, abuse or neglect situations. We are committed to ensuring that they find their forever homes with safe, loving families; and the best way for us to do that is to ask questions that may impact the success of this pet in a particular home. Please be aware that we do verify the information on the adoption application. We use a secure form to collect this information; if you are having trouble using the form, or would prefer to complete a paper form, please contact us so we can assist.